[PlanetCCRMA] "system" audio troubles

Mark Knecht markknecht@gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 09:38:01 2005

On 11/1/05, Peter Lutek <plutek@infinity.net> wrote:

> Playing WAVE 'sound-sample.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate
> 44100 Hz, Stereo
> Warning: rate is not accurate (requested = 44100Hz, got = 48000Hz)
>          please, try the plug plugin (-Dplug:default)
> aplay: pcm_write:1171: write error: Input/output error

In my experience this happens on systems where a given sound chip has
a fixed sample rate. -Dplug tells alsa to do a smaple rate conversion
in software I beleive.

> (that looks like it's trying to use the intel chip, with the 48k s.r.)
> then, when i do this:
>
> aplay -Dplug:default sound-sample.wav
>
> i get this:
>
> Playing WAVE 'sound-sample.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate
> 44100 Hz, Stereo
>
> but the process never finishes (that line just sits there, and i have to
> ctrl-c the process) and i have no sound actually output from the multiface.

In my experience the #1 reason this happens to me is that some other
software has grabbed the sound chip. Check that other sound daemons
aren't running and that no other Alsa apps are busy, stuck, crashed,
etc.

Good luck,
Mark