[PlanetCCRMA] Crackling sound after short disk or CPU activity peaks

mArukqs marukas@hardcore.lt
Mon Nov 14 12:35:02 2005

Hi,

I use ardour, muse and more jack applications.

A few times in an hour after some harder disk or CPU activity ALL jack
clients start to produce crackling sound (something similar to sound when
the buffer in jack is too small). Even if a peak is just for a less than a
second all the jack applications fail to produce the clean sound.

The only way to get rid of this sound is to restart jackd.

Restarting jackd is quite painful application as it involves restarting 2
or three programs (f.e. just for Muse I need to save the song I am working
on in Muse, close the Muse, restart jackd, open the Muse, open the
recently edited file)

Various buffer parameters were tried.

CPU Athlon 3000+, 1GB RAM reiserfs disks, FC4 with all the latest updates.

Please, help,

Marukqs