[PlanetCCRMA] Audiophile 192 and others

Mark Knecht markknecht@gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 13:45:02 2005

On 11/17/05, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 11:29 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > On 11/17/05, mArukqs <marukas@hardcore.lt> wrote:
> > > Somewhere on the web (http://apt.bea.ki.se/kernel-desktop/) I found this:
> > > kernel-desktop-2.6.11-1.27_FC3.desktop_2.i686.rpm
> > >
> > > I installed it (IIRC rpm -i --nodeps) and all the xruns at 96000Hz
> > > dissapeared!
> > >
> > > Author claims that he compiled this kernel version with some ccrma patches.
> > >
> > > Everything works fine now, except apt-get - it asks me to remove the
> > > kernel, so I it seems that I will need to reinstall it from time to time
> > > :/
> > >
> > > So finally it is possible to work at 96000Hz on Audiophile2496 , just
> > > CCRMA kernel needs to be upgraded somehow.
> > >
> > > I probably forgot to mention that with previous kernels from CCRMA I got
> > > jackd xruns even with no client application (xmms, ardour) running.
> > >
> > Interesting info.
> >
> > Now you have me curious. I have an AP2496 in my GigaStudio machine.
> > That machine also has Linux as I used to run LinuxSampler on it.
> > (Recently stopped using LS as the authors have placed non-GPL licenses
> > in the newest CVS versions.)
>
> Arghhh, what sort of license? When did this happen?
> -- Fernando

I'm not sure exactly when it happened. In the last month or two I
believe. I sort of went to sleep, woke up and found these issues had
come up. Some more info is below. I hope I get this right. I do NOT
represent that I know all of what's going on.

1) The current release from LinuxSampler.org is OK. IT is standard GPL.

2) Only the CVS versions have the GPL change.

3) The change to the GPL is that people are restricted from making a
commercial product without the permission of the authors.

4) Since GPL says you cannot change GPL Debian reacted, contacted the
LS-users list which made the issue clea to many of us. Thee was no
official response from the developers so Debian removed LS from their
distribution. This was perhaps a bit of an overreaction as apparently
Debian was using CVS and not an official release, but none the less
they removed it.

5) The word today is that the LS authors are discussing among
themselves what they want to do. They have said there will be a vote
among them, and then finally some sort of vote in the user community.

As I've worked as a tester on this project for 2-3 years I was
disappointed to hear that the guys had gone this direction. I'm no
longer using or testing the CVS version of LS as I don't feel the
benefit of my GigaStudio background should go into the development of
a non-GPL program. I will return to using it if and when the
developers have a point of view more in line with mine.

<EDITORIAL RANT> On GPL, I've decided I'm not happy that the current
licenses do not protect the work of tester like myself in a manner
that is consistent with the developer's protection. Clearly there has
been a huge amount of work that's gone into LS, and probably 50% of it
could never have been done without comparisons to the way GSt, Kontakt
and other samplers work. Since few of the developers have these tools
they depend on we owners and testers to do this for them, and then
some pull the rug from under our feet. I'm one very disappointed
tester here. None the less, I knew this going in so it's my own
misfortune to have had it end up here. It does make me far more
suspect of all the Open Source audio software I use today knowing that
at any time a developer or group of developers can take a program in a
private direction and strand a community of users. Oh,
well...</EDITORIAL RANT>

Again, I do NOT represent my self as doing anything here other than
communicating what I believe to be true. Interested parties should
look at the issues and make up their own minds. I take no
responsibility for any actions taken by others based on the
information in this email.

Cheers,
Mark