[PlanetCCRMA] Soundcard module insertion error

Michael E. Smith melkhorn@gmx.de
Mon Nov 21 11:30:01 2005

Hello:

Yesterday I accomplished an apt-get dist-upgrade after which I had a
several hours long mix-down session (primarily ardour) which went quite
well from the standpoint of computer stability.

This morning I boot up to a machine that won't load its sound cards'
modules:

        Starting sound driver snd-hdsp FATAL: Error inserting snd_hdsp
        (/lib/modules/2.6 .13-0.3.rdt.rhfc4.ccrma/updates/pci/rme9652/snd-hdsp.ko): Unknown symbol in modu le, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
                                                           [FAILED]
        Starting sound driver snd-intel8x0 FATAL: Error inserting
        snd_intel8x0
        (/lib/modules/2.6.13-0.3.rdt.rhfc4.ccrma/updates/pci/snd-intel8x0.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
                                                           [FAILED]

dmesg:

        snd_hdsp: Unknown parameter `'
        snd_intel8x0: Unknown parameter `'

I've been using this latest edge kernel without problems since it came
out, and FC4 has been really quite nice until now.

My CCRMA FC4 laptop got the same upgrade and exhibits none of the
symptoms.

I know I'm an idiot for blindly dist-upgrading the day of a session, and
worse still, I'm not even sure what was even upgraded, though I remember
hwdata was one of several (ca. 15) packages which were upgraded. I
upgrade regularly and I believe the day before there were no new
packages, if that's helpful identifying what I've done.

Aside from the obvious question of how I can get this dead-in-the-water
situation resolved, I'd also like to know if there's some sort of
apt-get history or install log one might view to id possible culprits
post-upgrade. Further, how can I, assuming CCRMA repos and s.o.p., how
can I downgrade any suspect packages?

Thanks,

Michael