[PlanetCCRMA] MAudio - the same wav in Windows and Linux sound different

mArukqs marukas@hardcore.lt
Tue Nov 22 14:21:01 2005

All this stuff happens with analog outputs - the problem is not related to
SPDIF devices.

1) The easiest way to control "Deemphasis" is to use alsamixer - other
mixers like gnome volume control does not show this option. Possible
values are 33kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz.

2) I tried +4db, consumer and -10db controls for analog output on oss. It
can be easily heard that in alsa my M-Audio Audiophile 2496 always runs in
-10db mode. In consumer mode soundcard exposed overcompression problems in
my recording (please listen to the example - it sounds not overcompressed
in Linux, but in Windows it sounds like pumping even in LOW VOLUMES)

I believe that on a single system you can master a record which sound
nice, but if there is a bug in a driver then on the other audiosystems you
records can sound wrong, f.e. there are chances of applying wrong eqs
while mastering.

Have you tried to compare the sound in oss or windows driver?

Here is the few second demo wav:
http://sportas.hardcore.lt/sportas/tmp/maudio-test-winlinux.wav

Please try to listen this file both in windows and linux - I am 99% sure
that you will easily find a difference if you have good reference monitors
or headphones.

mArukqs