[PlanetCCRMA] dv issues

Wed Nov 30 13:18:01 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 15:08 -0500, Peter Lutek wrote:
> is anyone out there using dvgrab (or kino, for that matter) to acquire
> digital video on a FC3 planet-ccrma box?
>
> when i do "dvgrab test" (as root or user), i get: "raw1394 - failed to
> get handle: No such file or directory."
> i get the same result if i try the -dv1394 option.
>
> it looks like both the dv1394 and raw1394 modules are loaded:
>
>  >/sbin/lsmod|grep 1394
> dv1394                 21068  0
> raw1394                30700  0
> ohci1394               34612  1 dv1394
> ieee1394              302388  3 dv1394,raw1394,ohci1394
>
> i'm not sure i have the appropriate devs in place:
>
>  >ls /dev|grep 1394
> dv1394-0
>
> any help would be most welcome!

I think that the device file is not in the place where the program
expects it to be, or has the wrong permissions. Check to see if you have
a device file for raw1394:
  ls /dev/*1394*
and check the permissions (if they are wrong you can change them
in /etc/security/console.perms so that the device belongs to whoever
logs into the machine).

I think some version of fedora puts the device in /dev/raw/ or something
like that.

To see what the program expects you could trace the system calls calling
it like this:
  strace dvgrab test &>test.log
and look at test.log with an editor, the program should be trying to
access something in /dev/ and you can see what it was...

-- Fernando