[PlanetCCRMA] New user; FC3 or FC4?

Wed Nov 30 18:32:44 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 23:18 +0100, Paquita wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to audio under linux, and about to try Planet CCRMA. I read a bit,
> but currently it's not clear to me which Fedora Core version I should
> install : is Planet CCRMA already ready for FC4? Or am I better off
> staying with FC3 right now?

This is getting harder and harder to answer :-) FC3 is still the most
complete system in terms of software available, there are a few
ommissions still in FC4 - after the initial flurry of help I got to get
things compiled on gcc4 the enthusiasm died down and I have been too
busy to try again. Most probably by now those problems already have
solutions.

The only major advantage I see in FC3 is the availability of cdrom
images which I have not recreated yet for FC4 (but FC4 has a full blown
"all included" install dvd - experimental, of course). If you don't need
them you could go with FC4. For the current status of the FC4 packages
as compared to FC3 see:
  http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/fc4buildstatus.html

-- Fernando