[PlanetCCRMA] Whysynth and Smack compile problems

Nigel Henry cave.dnb@tiscali.fr
Wed Oct 19 16:31:01 2005

On Monday 17 October 2005 07:41, Tracey Hytry wrote:
> Nigel,
>
> I'm assuming that you're using the planet's apt-get system?
>
> Could you take a look at your system with "synaptic" and see if there's any
> parts of the planet that are not installed?
>
> Synaptic will list just about everything that's not installed from the
> repository or repositories you have the apt-get system pointing at.  A lot
> of those files shouldn't be installed though(like the smp stuff on a single
> processor machine, etc);  but it will give you an idea of what may be
> missing?
>
> I have a FC3/planet-ccrma system that I was able to build and run whysynth
> on out of the box(as they say)(or at least it was the normal
> configure/make/make-install in my little build sandbox).  I am very
> impressed with whysynth so far(it will be even better if the author adds
> the midi control bindings:).  I was going to ask Fernando if he could try
> adding whysynth to the planet sometime when he's only working at normal
> speed, but I was thinking that may be a bit into the future.
>
> Tracey.

Hi Tracey. I thought I'd just update you on how this fiasco is going. I put
the other harddrive caddie in the machine ,with the first install on FC3.
Using apt-get, I put dssi, dssi-devel, hexter, xsynth-dssi, fluidsynth-dssi,
which also got, LADDCA, fluidsynth, and libsamplerate. Then installed ladspa,
and swh-plughins, cmt, and blop, which I think are more to do with deps for
om. Then ladspa-devel. Right. Now CD'd into Whysynth I run ./configure, which
runs to completion, then make, which also completes, and then as root, make
install. Bingo! I've got whysynth installed. Now feeling up in the clouds I
change the harddrive caddie to the FC3 one that has problems. Try all the
same stuff to get this fiendish program installed, but no-go. Last resort,
run autoconf. Now this runs for a bit, and I think "Hello" are we getting
somewhere? No errors (Thankfully). Still CD;d into the whysynth directory, I
run ./configure. Amazingly it completes. Run make, and this completes, and
the same, as root, make install completes with no errors. I'm puzzled, but
happy that it's installed on both FC2 & FC3. And looking at whysynth, It's
got lots of knobs to play with to make new patches, apart from the sounds
that are already there. Still can't get Smack installed, or should I say,
can't get one of it's deps, "om". Thats for another day. I'll play around
with trying to make some patches for Whysynth, and ZynAddSubFx. The compiler
is doing my head in. Happy music making. Nigel.