[PlanetCCRMA] FC4, nvidia drivers and apt mess

Eric Princen eprincen@boatertalk.com
Thu Sep 1 14:29:05 2005

rpm -e `rpm -qa | grep nvidia-`

That should remove all the nvidia packages you installed.

Get the download from the NVidia site. The current one I have is:

NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1.run

but there may be a newer version.

Run this:

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1.run

It will install the driver. Make sure to read the README
in /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README. It will tell you what changes
to make to /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Minimally is as follows:

<<<
If you already have an X config file working with a different driver
(such as the 'nv' or 'vesa' driver), then all you need to do is find
the relevant Device section and replace the line:

        Driver "nv"
    (or Driver "vesa")

with

        Driver "nvidia"

In the Module section, make sure you have:

        Load   "glx"

You should also remove the following lines:

        Load  "dri"
        Load  "GLcore"

if they exist.

X should run fine after that. You will have to reinstall after each
kernel upgrade or if you boot to another kernel. Yes, I know that is a
bit strange, but it seems the userland code has a kernel version
dependency. Unfortunate.

Good luck,

-Eric ;-)