[PlanetCCRMA] 'default' sound card?

Mark Knecht markknecht@gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 09:36:01 2005

On 9/2/05, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 15:19 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Hi,
> >    Does anyone happen to know the rule for how, in a 2 card system,
> > the 'default' sound card is chosen?
> >
> >    In the past it has, on my previous systems, always been card 0. On
> > my new AMD64 system it's turning out to be card 1, the HDSP 9652,
> > which is not what I want:
> >
> > lightning ~ # cat /proc/asound/cards
> > 0 [CK804          ]: NFORCE - NVidia CK804
> >                      NVidia CK804 with ALC850 at 0xda103000, irq 185
> > 1 [default        ]: H-DSP - Hammerfall DSP
> >                      RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652 at 0xda000000, irq 209
> > lightning ~ #
> >
> > This makes Gnome unhappy as I do not set up OSS on the HDSP9652
> > because of long existing problems and, as I say, on my other machines
> > card 0 has always been default which made Gnome happy.
>
> Look at what' in /etc/asound.conf, I think that defines which one is the
> default.

Thanks Fernando.

I do not ave an /etc/asound.conf file. I did get a message back from
Clemens on the Alsa-dev list saying he sees a problem with the way the
names are done in the hdsp drive. I'm filing a bug report.

I actually think everythign may be working OK even though I haven't
hooked cables up. I can run Jack on both cards. I get the right number
of ports. (NVidia == 2-in/6-out, HDSP == 26-in/26-out) I thinging are
probably OK and it's jsut a bogus name as per Clemens.

Cheers,
Mark

Cheers,
Mark