[PlanetCCRMA] qjackctl/jackd acting differently?

bernie arai bernie@vcn.bc.ca
Thu Sep 22 10:02:01 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 18:08, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 9/19/05, bernie arai <bernie@vcn.bc.ca> wrote:
> >
> > i found .jackdrc in my ~.  it contains: /usr/bin/jackd -R -dalsa -dhw:0
> > -r48000 -p1024 -n2 -S
> >
> > 7813 xruns, while the CPU meter stays under 1 or 2%. weird.
> >

> Have you tried something like -p512 -n4? Same latency but different
> packet sizes on the PCI bus, different memory usage. (I think)
>
> I remember trying some SB cards a long time ago and getting very
> different results using -n2/4/8, even 3 if it's supported.
>
> - Mark

thanks for your help/clarifications/suggestions!

i tried experimenting with different period/buffer sizes, even with
quite large latencies, i still get hundreds of xruns at a time.  the
sound card is the included crappy SigmaTel STAC9767 (i know i should
upgrade to an PCMCIA or USB2 card), but i'd sure like to know if this
card is usable at all with jack in realtime before making that
investment.

any thoughts on what the next thing to look at is?