[PlanetCCRMA] Newbie install question: GPG-KEY

Michael T D Nelson m_nels@gmx.net
Fri Sep 23 03:49:00 2005

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 17:23 -0700, cincykid1 wrote:
>
>>CCRMA:
>>
>>I am trying to make the great leap of faith from
>>Windows and am in the middle of my first Planet CCRMA
>>install using FC3.  FC3 seemed to install fine from
>>your iso images, but when I go to install the GPG-KEY
>>I get the following errors:
>>
>>error: cannot get exclusive lock on
>>/var/lib/rpm/Packages
>>error: cannot open Packages index using db3 -
>>Operation not permitted (1)
>>error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
>>error:
>>http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/RPM-GPG-KEY.planetccrma.txt:
>>import failed.
>>
>>If anyone could help me get over this hurdle, I'd
>>greatly appreciate it.
>

> Are you doing this as root?
> -- Fernando

I'm not trying to be insulting - but as you describe yourself as a
newbie from Windows, I thought you might not understand what Fernando
means...

You need to be logged in as the 'root' user (basically, the computer
administrator) to do this.

You will get these sort of error messages if you are logged in as a
normal user (amongst other things).

Try entering the command 'su' for 'switch user', and then enter your
root password when prompted. Now, try the apt command again.

When you have finished, type 'exit' to return to your normal user account.

Michael Nelson