[PlanetCCRMA] Newbie: can't get jackd to work

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Fri Sep 30 14:05:02 2005

On 9/30/05, Jeroen Baten <jbaten@i2rs.nl> wrote:
> Op vrijdag 30 september 2005 20:15, schreef Mark Knecht:
> > You might enable realtime in QJC and then post back the first part of
> > the message window where Jack is starting, just so we could get a look
> > at what's going on.

<SNIP>
> 00:06:52.466 JACK is starting...
> 00:06:52.466 /usr/bin/jackd -v -R -dalsa -dhw:0 -r48000 -p1024 -n2
> 00:06:52.470 JACK was started with PID=5824 (0x16c0).
> cannot write to jackstart sync pipe 4 (Bad file descriptor)

Are you attempting to use Jackstart to start Jack?  If so do not.
That's for 2.4 kernels only. Use jackd and the realtime option. (Not
jackd-realtime)

<SNIP>
> 00:07:02.967 JACK was stopped successfully.

Boy, that was ugly. Pretty much everything that was above looked bad to me.

> > Is this new hardware?
>
> Yep.
>
> > I just brought up a new AMD64 machine over the
> > last few weeks. Until last night I couldn't get it to run xrun free. I
> > had to build my own kernel which is not much of an issue, but it took
> > quite a while to find the right one to build. If you're using newish
> > hardware then consider trying what I built. (2.6.14-rc2-rt7)
>
> Can you mail me your .config please?

Will do it off list.

> Where can I get the source if its not kernel.org?

2.6.13 from kernel.org
2.6.14-rc2 patch from kernel.org
2.6.14-rc2-rt7 from Ingo Molnar's site:

http://people.redhat.com/mingo/realtime-preempt/

Patching is not too hard. I'll send you some instructions off line if you want.

> > Fernando
> > may or may not have a good FC3 kernel yet for newish hardware.
>
> Who is Fernando? (or is this a really stupid question :-)

Fernando runs PlanetCCRMA. You'll get to know him well I'm sure.

Cheers,
Mark