[PlanetCCRMA] Newbie: can't get jackd to work

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Fri Sep 30 15:04:02 2005

On 9/30/05, Carlos Pino <pinojazz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht escribió:
>
> >>Where can I get the source if its not kernel.org?
> >>

> >2.6.13 from kernel.org
> >2.6.14-rc2 patch from kernel.org
> >2.6.14-rc2-rt7 from Ingo Molnar's site:
> >
> >http://people.redhat.com/mingo/realtime-preempt/
> >
> >Patching is not too hard. I'll send you some instructions off line if you want.
> >

>   Hi,could you do it online,please?,or maybe you can cc to my. I'm very
> interesting in this procces.
>
>   Muchas gracias
>  Thank you very much.
>
>  - - Carlos.

Hi Carlos,
   Sure, I'd be happy to go through the basics.

NOTE: THIS OUTLINE IS STREAM OF CONSCIOUSNESS. THESE INSTRUCTIONS DO
NOT REPLACE PROPER STUDY AND CARE ON YOUR PART. BE CAREFUL AS YOU CAN
DAMAGE YOUR SYSTEM IF YOU DO THINGS WRONG.

That said, I read through it a couple of times and I thin kit's what I
do. I take no responsibility for the use of these instructions.

1) Get the basic starting kernel zip file, in this case
linux-2.6.13.tar.bz2 . This is sometimes a bit tricky to figure out
which one. In this case it was not the most recent stable kernel.

2) Get the patches you want to work with. On my case since the
recommendation I got was to build 2.6.14-rc I got

patch-2.6.14-rc2
patch-2.6.14-rc2-rt7

Note that sometimes the names do not say 'patch' when I down load them
so I rename them to keep things straight.

3) Unzip and untar the kernel. First move it to /usr/src and then run

tar xvf linux-2.6.13.tar.bz2

NOTE: This will OVERWRITE an existing directory of the same name so
make sure you're careful at this step.

4) Rename the kernel source directory to the new name

mv linux-2.6.13 linux-2.6.14-rc2-rt7

5) cd to the source tree

cd linux-2.6.14-rc2-rt7

6) Apply the patches, doing a dry run first to make sure they will apply cleanly

patch -p1 --dry-run <~mark/patch-2.6.14-rc2
patch -p1  <~mark/patch-2.6.14-rc2
patch -p1 --dry-run  <~mark/patch-2.6.14-rc2-rt7
patch -p1 <~mark/patch-2.6.14-rc2-rt7

At this point you have an up to date source code tree.

7) My preference is to make a clean default .config file

make defconfig

You can copy over a known good .config file and run make oldconfig but
this is reported to sometimes cause problems. It's your choice. I
don't do it much. It's more work my way but it seems to wrok out a bit
better in the long run.

8) Configure the kernel as per your desires and your hardware. This
step is the most ambigous. You need to know somethign about your
chipset, your processor, the file systems you want to run, etc. Let
your concious be your guide. I usually start pretty simple on a new
kernel and make sr it boots. I then go back and add in all the drivers
I need for sound, etc. I run

make menuconfig

This is the step that will take you the longest. Always run this step
even if you run make oldconfig.

9) Compile and install the new kernel

make && make modules_install

If everything went cleanly you have a new kernel in this tree, and you
have created a directory called

/lib/modules/2.6.14-rc2-rt7

10) Mount your boot partition

mount /boot

11) Copy the kernel to /boot. Make sure you want to copy over an
existing kernel of the same name. You can lose a known good kernel if
you make a mistake at this point.

cp arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage-2.6.14-rc2.rt7

12) Edit your grub file to allow this kernel as a boot. Follow the
format that's already there, but my entry for this file looks like:

title  2.6.14-rc2-rt7
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/bzImage-2.6.14-rc2-rt7 root=/dev/sda3

NOTE: The /boot in the kernel line may not be required in some drive
configurations. Spaces, or the lack of them, are important.

13) Unmount the boot partition

umount /boot

14) Reboot and enjoy, or repeat until it's ready to be enjoyed.

Hope this helps!

Happy Traaaaaaaaails to youooooo, until... we meet... again,
Mark