[PlanetCCRMA] nvidia drivers

Tue Apr 18 17:03:05 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 15:35 -0700, Brad Fuller wrote:
> Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 11:48 -0700, menno wrote:
> > > Hello
> > > i've come to the point where the nvidiadrivers can be installed.( kernel =
> > > 2.6.14-0.10.rrt.rhfc4.ccrmasmp.)
> > > When searching in this forum i found the same question. I understand i need
> > > the source of this kernel

> > > so i entered this URL in /etc/apt/sources.list and ran Synaptic. There was
> > > an error:
> > >
> > > Type 'http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/all/linux/SRPMS/' is not
> > > known in on line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
> > >
> > > How should i proceed? My goal is to get twinview running.
> >
> > First thing to try is to install the kernel-devel package that matches
> > the kernel you have installed, that would be:
> >
> >   apt-get install kernel-smp-devel#2.6.14-0.10.rrt.rhfc4.ccrma
> >
> > That should be enough for the Nvidia installer. But I'm not sure how
> > well those drivers work with the realtime preemption enabled kernels.
> >
> I need to install the source for 2.6.12-0.21.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma and I
> don't see the source nor the devel packages using yum. I see lots of
> alsa modules! But no devel nor source. Why would that be? And, how can
> I get them?
> What could I be doing wrong?

Nothing, that kernel predates the time when -devel packages started to
be built. For that kernel the kernel headers should be
in /lib/modules/`unamne -r`/build/, perhaps the nvidia drivers can be
convinced to look there. Otherwise you have to manually download the
source rpm (.src.rpm) for that kernel and build a patched source tree -
instructions for that are available in the fc4 release notes...

-- Fernando