[PlanetCCRMA] re: nvidia drivers

Tracey Hytry shakti@bayarea.net
Thu Apr 20 19:17:01 2006

> Is there a way to use a custom xorg.conf for each kernel?

Hi,

I usually do it manually by keeping various xorg.conf-config_name and copying it over to xorg.conf before starting X(I boot in run level 3).

I'm pretty sure writing a little script and sticking it in /etc/rc.d/rc.local could automate the proccess(something like "check for kernel version, copy correct xorg.conf).

Sometimes just slightly starving the nvidia driver out of resources helps.  I used to reset the latency timer for the vidio card back to normal after starting X.  Nvidia seems to like to set it real high after starting the driver in X so that the X session feels real snappy(as our audio goes "crackle crackle" because of it).  Also, if you can adjust both the "niceness" of X and the interrupt priority of the vidio card, that will help a lot.

And of course, there's the problems of trying to run nvidia drivers with "rt" kernels that I won't get into here.  It's a bit hard to be able to run opengl programs and get good audio, but it can be done.

Tracey