[PlanetCCRMA] Jack and KDE

Nigel Henry cave.dnb@tiscali.fr
Wed Apr 26 11:07:01 2006

On Wednesday 26 April 2006 18:13, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 09:20 -0400, Roy Vestal wrote:
> > I'm getting an error starting Jack in my KDE environment. This is a new
> > install/build of FC3 and I'm wondering if ARTS is turned on. I'm
> > assuming this would be the cause of my Jack start errors. I believe the
> > error is "jackd could not start hw:0 in use". At the time of this
> > writing I am not able to get to the machine for the exact error.
> >
> > My question: Can ARTS be active and jackd still work or does it need to
> > be off? I'm assuming off is the correct answer at this time.
>
> Jack normally takes complete ownership of the sound card, all other
> programs that use it have to be "off".
>
> -- Fernando

Hi Fernando. I've just tried to recreate this problem on 2 different machines
running FC3. The Arts sound server is running, I ran a live audio stream from
bbc.co.uk, using embedded realplayer in Firefox, and played a cd through KsCD
at the same time, and jackd started through qjackctl with no error messages.
That was with both the vanilla kernel-2.6.9-1.667 (with realtime unchecked,
otherwise you get an unrelated error message) , and with
kernel-2.6.11-0.3.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma.

With FC2 , and on the machine with Audigy2 soundblaster (emu10k1) there are no
problems. I can have the Arts server started, run a live audio stream, and
jackd will start with no errors. On the other machine with the Ensoniq
(ens1371), If I have a live audio stream running, jackd won't start, with the
hw0 is in use error. Likewise if I have the Arts server running.

This is sort of sounding like a sound card problem with certain distro's. FC3
is ok, both with Audigy2 soundblaster (emu10k1), and Ensoniq (ens1371), but,
FC2 gives no errors with the machine with Audigy2 soundblaster, but gives
jackd errors (hw0 in use) on the machine with Ensoniq card.

Roy. What is the soundcard on your machine?

My machines:
I-friend 1.3Ghz celeron, 1GB RAM, Audigy2 soundblaster sound card.
Gateway 500, pentium 3 katmai, 256MB RAM, Ensoniq sound card (ens1371).

Just another spanner in the works. Nigel.