[PlanetCCRMA] still working on sound issues for FC5

Mark Knecht markknecht@gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 17:41:01 2006

On 8/5/06, tom poe <tompoe@fngi.net> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
> > On 8/4/06, tom poe <tompoe@fngi.net> wrote:
> >> 00:0d.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev
> >> 04)
> >>        Subsystem: Creative Labs CT4850 SBLive! Value
> >>        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
> >>        I/O ports at 10a0 [size=32]
> >>        Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1
> >>
> >> root@dhcppc0 heather]# cat /proc/asound/cards
> >> 0 [Live           ]: EMU10K1 - SBLive! Value [CT4670]
> >>                      SBLive! Value [CT4670] (rev.4, serial:0x201102) at
> >> 0x10a0, irq 11
> >>
> >> Do the readings above look reasonable?  I'm searching for why the
> >> computer has system sounds, but microphone only works when testing
> >> microphone -> speakers.  When I bring up softphone (xlite) or audacity,
> >> there's no recording/delay or any sound output.
> >> Any help appreciated.
> >> Tom
> >
> > Tom,
> >   I don't have an SB but they look reasonable. Some things to look at:
> >
> > 1) Is some other app or sound server (like esd) grabbing Alsa and
> > getting in the way of normal usage? Check your process list for
> > everything that could be audio related.
> >
> > 2) If you run alsamixer have you unmuted everything required to get
> > the mic input to work? Have you brought up mic volume?
> >
> > - Mark

> Thanks, Mark:  On my machine, FC5,
> ps -ef | grep esd
> tom       2233     1  0 Aug03 ?        00:00:09 /usr/bin/esd -terminate
> -nobeeps -as 2 -spawnfd 18
>
> I asked my daughter (she's up in Minneapolis) and hers is the same.
> I've now got her next step to stop and start alsa and report what
> happens.  I installed FC5 on my machine, and on hers.  I don't remeber
> which setup I used for my install, and which setup I chose for hers.
> Something is blocking the path to /dev/dsp, on her machine when she
> tries the microphone recording.
> Tom

Tom,
   Do you guys need esd. That's something like "Enlightened Sound
Daemon" which is part of Gnome IIRC. I now run Gentoo and build Gnome
with ESD turned off, but I seem to remember on Fedora I wanted to turn
it off. IIRC again, and it has been quite awhile since I've configured
anything Fedora, but you ran chkconfig to do that:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/custom-guide/s1-services-chkconfig.html

That link is pretty old now so maybe it doesn't apply to FC5 - no idea
- but I can say that in the old days esd conflicted with Alsa quite a
lot and I always made sure it was off.

That said, it may be OK to run it as long as it's configured to use
Alsa but that is unclear from the line you posted back. Possibly you
can check how it's configured somewhere in FC's config apps and get it
fixed, but first I'd turn it off and see if the mic input works with
the mic, and then turn it back on if you really want it running.
That's just me though.

Hope this helps even a little,
Mark