[PlanetCCRMA] FC5 Updates

Sun Aug 6 16:12:01 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 12:41 -0400, George Chan wrote:
> Just wondering if after installing FC5 should I run
> su -c 'yum update'
> before installing Planet CCRMA packages,

Should not be a problem. It _might_ be better to first install the
Planet CCRMA kernels. I have an updated yum in the Planet CCRMA repo
that supposedly will help with that but even then some users have had
problems - apparently the internal dependency resolution of yum can get
confused with what I want it to do.

> and would it be wise to run the
> daily updates by using:
> su -c '/sbin/chkconfig --level 345 yum on; /sbin/service yum start'
>
> or will that break thing?
>
> What are your opinions?

It should not break things but I prefer to run my updates manually.
There is always the possibility that some update from a repository will
conflict with already installed packages (and might make yum erase
something) and I want to know about problems before commiting to an
actual update.

-- Fernando