[PlanetCCRMA] Installing different versions of jack

Sun Dec 31 17:45:37 2006

[sorry for the delay in anwering... the list server was stuck unnoticed
for a while and the posts were not getting through]

On Tue, 2006-12-26 at 17:03 -0500, linuxmedia4@netscape.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to be able to install different versions of jack on my CCRMA/FC5
> system (long story). But no matter what I do, it doesn't build right
> (either with or without a repo version installed). Is there a trick to
> installing other versions of jack on a CCRMA/FC5 system?

What do you mean "it doesn't build right"? Do you get errors? Does it
work?

There are no tricks, I think. If the rpm package is already installed
you should try to install with prefix=/usr (not /usr/local which is the
default). Otherwise you end up with two simultaneous versions and jack
does not deal with that well. If you install in prefix=/usr you should
overwrite the packaged version (which you could supposedly restore by
forcing a reinstall of that particular rpm).

You can't really erase the package as (as you noticed before) most other
important audio packages depend on it.

> Better yet, are there unseen versions of jack that I can install from
> the repos? I've read the yum man page and googled around and can't find
> a way to figure this out.

Hmmm, not at this time. I could release a newer one.

What problems did you have with the current one in fc5?
-- Fernando