[PlanetCCRMA] fc5 or fc6, i386 or x86_64

Sun Dec 31 18:51:02 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-27 at 22:55 +0000, Jeff Sandys wrote:
> I got a laptop to setup as a Linux Music computer.  It has a AMD
> Turion64x2 processor.
>
> Which Fedora Core should I install, fc5 or fc6, i386 or x86_64?  I
> would like to install most of the PlanetCCRMA music applications with
> the least problems.

I'd dare say fc6 :-)

But... not all apps are there yet (rebuilt, I mean). And no low latency
kernel has been released in Planet CCRMA. The latest patches from Ingo
are looking very very good so I'm getting closer to releasing one, but
it is hard to say when.

As to i386 vs. x86_64 I'd go with i386 (BTW it is the only version
available on fc5 and earlier releases of Planet CCRMA). I started
building x86_64 packages for fc6 but not all apps work (depends on what
you need, things like pd / supercollider don't yet work on x86_64).

-- Fernando