[PlanetCCRMA] Upgrading FC4 -> FC5

Mon Jul 3 11:30:05 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 16:36 -0700, Julius Smith wrote:
> One catch: for copying in old settings and other info from an FC4
> partition to a fresh FC5 installation, it does not work to simply
> "mount" the old FC4 partition (since it is a "logical volume" with an
> unrecognizable "format" 8e).  After a bit of fruitless searching for
> how that can be done (there must be a way), I gave up and simply
> copied everything to an old-style partition that mount can deal with
> under FC5.  - jos

You can't directly mount an lvm base partition. Lvm is a logical volume
manager and it defines "logical volumes" on top of a "virtual group"
which is made of "physical volumes" (it is of course more complex than
this).

"lvdisplay" will show you what logical volumes are available and what is
their device (which you can use in a mount command - assuming of course
there's a filesystem on them).

"vgdisplay" will show the available volume groups.

"pvdisplay" will predictably show you the volume groups lvm knows about.

"vgchange" can be used to activate or deactivate volume groups, a
"vgchange -a y" is run by the startup scripts to start the whole thing.
I have no idea what it would do if you insert an external disk with
logical volumes in it, maybe you have to run vgchange again to get
things discovered or maybe it is automatic. "vgchange -a n" will stop
lvm.

-- Fernando