[PlanetCCRMA] jackd and two Delta1010 cards

Mark Knecht markknecht@gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 18:49:08 2006

On 7/3/06, Bob Wilkinson <wilkinson.bob@comcast.net> wrote:
> I am less concerned about the wordclock sync issue, because the Delta1010 is a true multichannel card with wordclock in/out, so the wordclock of the first card can control the second.  (I took option "A" - buy the expensive card.  The only problem is, I bought two).  I just want more than 8 channels - ideally I will have 24 analog input, but right now I'm working with 16 analog.
>
> I just wanted to avoid Windows as much as possible, and fell in love with Ardour when I only had one 1010 to work with.
>
> Thanks for the start - if anyone else has any suggestions, I will be very appreciative!

<SNIP>
> > > I have searched the web, and found an .asoundrc file (I actually wrote it to
> > /etc/asound.conf) to create the "virtual" card (binding the two cards together).
> > My asound.conf file looks like this:
> > >
> > > pcm.multi_capture {
> > >         type multi
> > >         slaves.a.pcm hw:0
> > >         slaves.a.channels 12
> > >         slaves.b.pcm hw:1
> > >         slaves.b.channels 12

<SNIP>

> > > ctl.multi_capture {
> > >         type hw
> > >         card 0
> > > }
> > >
> > > pcm.multi_playback {
> > >         type multi
> > >         slaves.a.pcm hw:0
> > >         slaves.a.channels 10
> > >         slaves.b.pcm hw:1
> > >         slaves.b.channels 10

<SNIP>

> > > }
> > >
> > > ctl.multi_playback {
> > >         type hw
> > >         card 0
> > > }
> > >
> > > However, when I attempt to run JACK from a command line,
> > >
> > > jackd -d alsa -C multi_capture -P multi_playback
> > >
> > >  I get the error:
> > >
> > > ALSA: mmap-based access is not possible for the capture stream of this audio
> > interface
> > > ALSA: cannot configure capture channel

Bob,
   I have no experience with this so I'm just poking around. However,
if the card is a '10-10' then why is the asound.rc file seem to be
defining a '12-10'?

   The capture section says there are 12 capture channels but the card
only has 10 and the error message says it cannot do something on the
capture side. That looks suspect to me.

Good luck,
Mark