[PlanetCCRMA] (newbie) questions on the FC5 CCRMA and package management

Wed Jul 19 11:28:02 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 12:11 -0400, Erik Steinholtz wrote:
> I wanted to upgrade my FC3 CCRMA to FC5. installed FC and ccrma-core.
>
> Then, for installing the apps, the instructions are somewhat confusing
> (or is it just me being confused?)

No, the instructions are confusing, sorry for that.

> 1)       there is a note saying that the planetccrma-* app packages
> are not yet available
>
> 2)       there are links to the packages
>

> 1)       there are no instructions on how to configure or install apt
> (as there used to be for the previous versions). My conclusion was….It
> is all yum these days (which I found out was wrong pretty quickly..)
>
> 2)       the example commands for installing are still for apt

Wherever you see "apt-get install" substitute "yum install"

> My conclusion is that audioapps and adiovideoapps are still managed
> under apt. Correct? (want to know before I try and mess up
> something…)
>
> Is the package manager bound to change in the future to be only yum?

It is already only yum in fc5.

> Second question: Which other package collections go together with
> planetccrma? I would assume atrpms, since they mirror planetccrma. Are
> there any “recommended” and “stay away from” lists?

In general I try to maintain compatibility with fedora extras,
freshrpms, etc.

> Third, general, very-much-newbie question is:
>
> a) How do apt and yum work together? Isn’t there a way that they could
> mess up with each other?

Not really (unless you run _both_ at exactly the same time).

> b) if I add an rpm outside of yum and apt, are they incorporated
> “automagically” into the local yum
>  and apt repo management, or are they forever out in the cold?

Short answer: yes, they are incorporated into what apt/yum sees.

Both apt and yum look at two sources of information. What is available
on the repositories and the local rpm database. From knowing what you
already have (according to rpm) and what is available (info coming from
the repositories) it calculates what needs to be updated or what can be
installed.

Every time you use rpm it updates its internal databases and those are
going to be looked at the next time you run apt and/or yum.

-- Fernando