[PlanetCCRMA] fc4 journaling

Benjamin Hardy drycellbattery@yahoo.ca
Thu Mar 2 18:21:03 2006

ext3 should be fine and probably has better
performance for handling larger files than another
filesystem like rieserfs and more stable than xfs. I
think some ways to get better performance from the
hard drive is to try using hdparm, I believe Fernando
still has some instructions on the website of what
options you should use. I don't think it's always
necessary to use hdparm and you could harm your
hardware if it's used incorrectly. My hard drive uses
'-c 3' '-d 1' '-m 16' 'A 1' and hdparm -t outputs:

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  164 MB in  3.01 seconds
=  54.51 MB/sec

I don't know if that's good. I have a 200 GB Western
Digital drive.

the noatime option added to your mounts in /etc/fstab
could help performance, here's some info
http://www.faqs.org/docs/securing/chap6sec73.html
don't worry about all that info on /chroot that's
besides the point.