[PlanetCCRMA] general soundfont questions

Luis Garrido luisgarrido@users.sourceforge.net
Thu Mar 9 03:39:04 2006

On 3/9/06, Tom Poe <tompoe@fngi.net> wrote:
> I got all inspired after being introduced to lead sheets and playing
> piano, today.  I'm pretty sure I can set up vkeybd, Rosegarden4, Jack,
> and QSynth? to learn how to play chords using my PC keyboard.  Somebody
> stop me, if that's a ridiculous claim.

A PC keyboard may let you play simple melodies, but due to technical
constrains it is strange that it will recognize more than two keys
pressed at a time, so it is highly unlikely that you can play three or
four note chords.

If you are genuinely interested a good start could be buying a cheap
Casio or Yamaha keyboard with some builtin sounds, then you don't need
even a computer, but be sure it has midi or usb connection so you can
use midi software as well.

You can find soundfonts in sf2midi.com.

HTH,

Luis