[PlanetCCRMA] general soundfont questions

Nigel Henry cave.dnb@tiscali.fr
Thu Mar 9 06:08:02 2006

On Thursday 09 March 2006 05:31, Tom Poe wrote:
> I got all inspired after being introduced to lead sheets and playing
> piano, today.  I'm pretty sure I can set up vkeybd, Rosegarden4, Jack,
> and QSynth? to learn how to play chords using my PC keyboard.  Somebody
> stop me, if that's a ridiculous claim.
>
> I started reading through the Rosegarden4 manual to set up stuff, and
> quickly arrived at the part that calls for loading soundfonts.  Does
> CCRMA include general soundfonts when I install?  When I run command: #
> locate soundfont
> /usr/include/sound/soundfont.h
> /usr/share/mimelnk/audio/x-soundfont.desktop
> /lib/modules/2.6.12-0.21.rdt.rhfc4.ccrma/build/include/sound/soundfont.h
>
> Any recommendation for downloading general soundfont files for my sound
> card:

Hi Tom. Soundfonts can't be loaded onto your card. Only Audigy, or SBlive
cards with a hardware wavetable synth, and using the emu10k1 driver, are
capable of having soundfonts loaded onto them.

The alternatives are to use TiMidity, or use Qsynth and load soundfonts (.sf2)
into that.

GM soundfonts, and others are available from. http://www.hammersound.net/ ,
and other places on the Internet.  All the best. Nigel.