[PlanetCCRMA] Re: PlanetCCRMA digest, Vol 1 #1654 - 5 msgs

Nigel Henry cave.dnb@tiscali.fr
Sat Mar 11 07:58:02 2006

On Saturday 11 March 2006 11:35, David Beetham wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 19:09 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > On Friday 10 March 2006 18:32, David Beetham wrote:
> > > I'm interested in automatically setting the volume control i/o to full
> > > volume on user log in ?
> > > At the moment every time I log in I have to open up the volume control
> > > application and manually set it to full volume ...
> > > I would like to avoid having to do this ?
> > >
> > > I'm running FC4 and have an m-audio 24/96 sound card
> > >
> > > I imagine I could script it or perhaps change a conf file somewhere,
> > > but I'm just guessing ...
> > >
> > > Any help would be much appreciated ...
> > >
> > > DaveB
> >
> > Hi Dave. If you're using KDE, it's worth looking at Kmix's settings. It
> > should show something like, "load volumes at startup". Uncheck it if it's
> > checked. After setting the volume to the level you want, next time you
> > reboot it should still be the same.
> >
> > Nigel.
> >
> > <Huge snip of stuff irrelevant to question>
>
> I'm using gnome-volume-control (Volume Control 2.10.2) to set the volume
> and there are no preferences for setting at start-up ...
>
> I've also done a search for any conf files in the hope that there might
> be some switches in there but couldn't find any ...
>
> I reckon I should write a script which will execute on start-up launch
> the gnome-volume-control and set the volume sliders to full ...
>
> Where do I start ?
>
> Thanks for your help so far ...
>
> DAveB

Hi Dave. I've hardly ever used Gnome, but had a look in it. As you say, the
volume control doesn't have much going for it in the way of settings. IIRC
I've seen this problem with the Gnome vol control discussed before, but not
using Gnome, didn't take much notice of the replies. It may be worth posting
the problem to the Linux Audio User list as well, as someone there might
recognise the problem.

Just to explain what happens in my case using KDE, when Kmix has this "load
volumes at startup" box checked.

I've booted up, and Kmix's vol control is at zero, so I raise the level. When
I shutdown,  alsactl, using the command /usr/sbin/alsactl store , saves the
alsamixer settings. I now reboot,  alsactl, using /usr/sbin/alsactl restore ,
restores the saved settings. Now the settings have restored correctly at this
time, but the machine is still booting up. Further on in the bootup process,
KDE gets involved, and using this "load volumes at startup" resets the volume
level to zero, which is the default with that box checked. Unchecking the
box, raising the volume level, then shutting down, alsactl again saves the
settings, and rebooting, it restores them again, but this time KDE does not
interfere with the restored settings, and logging into KDE, you find them as
you left them.

I also believe that alsactl restore, and a script set by KDE that changes the
restored settings are both being run prior to the GDM login. I say this
because I have a sound set to run when GDM login comes up, and if that
"load volumes at startup" box is checked, my sound doesn't play when GDM login
comes up.

Something similar is presumably happening with Gnome. If you have the Gnome
sound server running, have you tried turning it off? Also after having raised
the level on the Gnome vol control, it may be worth running
/usr/sbin/alsactl store , then rebooting to see if your problem still exists.

Sorry for rambling on a bit, without giving you a solution. Nigel.