[PlanetCCRMA] Changing playspeed of a song to adjust pitch

Jan Depner eviltwin69@cableone.net
Sun Mar 19 15:40:01 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-19 at 18:17 -0500, Jose Alburquerque wrote:
> Hi all.  Thanks PlanetCCRMA for all your tools for sound processing on
> Linux.  Great job!  I have a simple question which I hope any of you out
> there might be able to answer:  I have some audio files which sound a
> little higher in pitch than what I would like.  It seems that they are
> playing at a faster rate than normal, kind of like playing a tape a
> little faster than normal in a tape-recorder (Unfortunately they were
> recorded that way).  I'd like to "slow down" their playspeed so that the
> pitch gets back to normal.
>
> I'm able to use a tool which most of you might be familiar with called
> "alsaplayer" to play the songs and slow down their play speed to a
> normal pitch (have any of you tried this?).  The problem is that I need
> to "save" the slowed down version.  Can anyone suggest a program that
> might be able to "change" the speed of a song thus adjusting its pitch?
> I'd really appreciate it!  Thanks so much.

Audacity can do this.

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and
this we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744