[PlanetCCRMA] Nvidia problem and my first post!

Mon Nov 6 10:20:04 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-05 at 14:54 -0800, izzy wrote:
> I have the same problem with the nvidia module when trying to install
> with the planetccrma kernels. I've tried building them using the nvidia
> installer and sources and get the same errors.
>
> Here is the msg. from the installer log:
>
> -> Kernel module compilation complete.
> ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'.  This happens most
>        frequently when this kernel module was built against the wrong or
>        improperly configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc that
> differs
>        from the one used to build the target kernel, or if a driver such as
>        rivafb/nvidiafb is present and prevents the NVIDIA kernel module from
>        obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA graphics device(s).
>
> and this:
>
> "nvidia: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module"
>
> The gcc version is 4.1.1 and the nvidia module loads with the 'stock'
> kernel - 2.6.18-1.2200.fc5

I doubt that the problem is non-matching versions of gcc. I don't think
there was any new version updated recently.

Do you have the "kernel-devel" package for the kernel you want to build
for installed?

Looks like the nvidia module is unhappy about one (only one?) symbol in
the kernel, that is, it would seem the nvidia module that was built was
not built for the kernel you are booting to.

-- Fernando