[PlanetCCRMA] Nvidia problem

izzy atorima@vfemail.net
Tue Nov 7 00:19:00 2006

izzy wrote:
> Ah, I just noticed this:
>
> kernel-2.6.16-1.2080.16.rdt.rhfc5.ccrma
> kernel-devel-2.6.16-1.2080.16.rrt.rhfc5.ccrma
>
> That just might be the problem.  Perhaps, I should use my glasses!
> Downloading kernel-devel-2.6.16-1.2080.16.rdt.rhfc5.ccrma.i686.rpm
> <http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/fedora/linux/planetcore/5/i386/kernel-devel-2.6.16-1.2080.16.rdt.rhfc5.ccrma.i686.rpm>
>

> I'll try that and see if it works a little better for me. and maybe,
> I'll give the edge kernel a try (since I seem to have the sources?)
>
> Thanks!
Ha! Well,  with the correct sources the nvidia installer did indeed
build the module and install it

So, I rebooted, but...the module failed to load and then... just after
the login splash the window manager froze. uh oh...

Then I tried to boot into the base kernel. The display was looking
something like a painting by Pollock or Klee...but not what i wanted.

So I rebooted into run level 3 and had a look a xorg.conf.  The nvidia
installer had re-written it. Like some bad prose. I tried to edit it.
But, X wasn't buying it.

I tried to remove 'nvidia' with yum. Bad move. I tried to re-install it
with nvidia installer. Stupid move.

xorg-system-display-config tried to fix this mess and I got back to the
login spash and the frozen window manger.  I had had enough. I shut it
down down. Enough 'work' for tonight.

Did I mention I'm writing this from the ubuntu box in the back room? its
very...brown. I wonder what kind of latency I could get with this puppy
and the soundblaster?  Did I mention that the nvidia installer sucks?

I wonder - if I ordered a fedora core 6 cd will planet core 6 will be
built by the time it arrives?

A Happy thought!  Well, I must sleep now so that I may destroy a new
tommorrow.

-izzy