[PlanetCCRMA] Nvidia problem

Tue Nov 7 09:55:01 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 22:20 -0800, izzy wrote:
> izzy wrote:
> > Ah, I just noticed this:
> >
> > kernel-2.6.16-1.2080.16.rdt.rhfc5.ccrma
> > kernel-devel-2.6.16-1.2080.16.rrt.rhfc5.ccrma
> >
> > That just might be the problem.  Perhaps, I should use my glasses!
> > Downloading kernel-devel-2.6.16-1.2080.16.rdt.rhfc5.ccrma.i686.rpm
> > <http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/fedora/linux/planetcore/5/i386/kernel-devel-2.6.16-1.2080.16.rdt.rhfc5.ccrma.i686.rpm>
> >

> > I'll try that and see if it works a little better for me. and maybe,
> > I'll give the edge kernel a try (since I seem to have the sources?)
> >
> > Thanks!
> Ha! Well,  with the correct sources the nvidia installer did indeed
> build the module and install it
>
> So, I rebooted, but...the module failed to load and then... just after
> the login splash the window manager froze. uh oh...
>
> Then I tried to boot into the base kernel. The display was looking
> something like a painting by Pollock or Klee...but not what i wanted.
>
> So I rebooted into run level 3 and had a look a xorg.conf.  The nvidia
> installer had re-written it. Like some bad prose. I tried to edit it.
> But, X wasn't buying it.
>
> I tried to remove 'nvidia' with yum. Bad move. I tried to re-install it
> with nvidia installer. Stupid move.
>
> xorg-system-display-config tried to fix this mess and I got back to the
> login spash and the frozen window manger.  I had had enough. I shut it
> down down. Enough 'work' for tonight.

Sorry to hear that (and yes, you have to have the exact same source for
kernel modules to build). It looks like the version of the nvidia
drivers you have does not play nicely with the current low latency
kernel. So far I have managed to avoid binary drivers for video cards so
I don't know where to go from where you are.

-- Fernando