[PlanetCCRMA] Ingo latest patch and kernel

Thu Nov 16 14:49:00 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 17:31 -0500, Delgado, Edgardo CIV NAVAIR 4.1.4.3
wrote:
> Hey Nando,
>
> FYI, Ingo just released a patch for 2.6.19 at
> http://people.redhat.com/mingo/realtime-preempt/
> and a kernel at
> http://people.redhat.com/mingo/realtime-preempt/yum/i686/
>
> Edgardo "Edgar" Delgado

Sigh... never ends :-)
I'm working on 2.6.18-rt7 right now (for fc6).
[latest: autofs and /usr/sbin/automount don't work with the patched
kernel - automount segfaults and there's something in the logs as to the
kernel hitting a bug...]

I'll look at Ingo's kernel packages... Just FYI I'm working on Fedora
Core 6 kernels and I have pretty much decided to change the naming of
the Planet CCRMA kernel packages to kernel-realtime-*. This is because
of the yum problem of it not wanting to install older kernels ever (I've
looked at the source and this seems to be hardwired deep into yum).

Ingo is prefixing them with a "2.xxxx" release which is going to be
always newer than the official Fedora kernels but I think that's not
such a good idea, you may actually want to run sometimes the newest
kernel from Fedora, somethings the realtime enhanced kernel. Both kernel
"lineages" should be able to coexist. AFAICT all the peripheral scripts
and other kernel related thingies seem to not mind the name change...

-- Fernando