[PlanetCCRMA] mLAN

Sat Nov 25 17:18:00 2006

On Sat, 2006-11-25 at 21:56 +0000, Michael Sperone wrote:
>         Hi,
>
>         I'm trying to get a Yamaha i88x to work with Linux.
>         I've currently got FC3 with planetccrma installed (kernel
>         2.6.11 w/ the realtime patch).
>
>         I downloaded the alsa-mlan drivers and am currently trying to
>         compile/install it in my computer.  I ran into a problem
>         quickly... when trying to confirm and load my raw1394 firewire
>         module, I see that it is installed because when I try to do an
>         apt-get install for it, it tells me that I already have the
>         current version.  But when I try to check the permissions and
>         load it, it tells me that file not found.  I might be looking
>         in the wrong place... I'm looking in /dev/raw1394 as per the
>         installation file with the alsa-mlan drivers.

The packages are:
  apt-get install libraw1394 libraw1394-devel
(you will need the later to build things that depend on libraw1394 -
that's the library, not the kernel driver)

You also have to load the module when you want to use it (should be
already part of the kernel), that should be:
  /sbin/modprobe raw1394

But that will (probably) not create the /dev entry, you'lll have to do
that by hand.

This what I think should be the entry:
crw------- 1 root root 171, 0 Nov 25 18:20 /dev/raw1394
("man mknod" to see how to create it)
Something like:
  mknod /dev/raw1394 c 171 0
(but I'm not sure about this...)

>         Also, to compile the driver, I need the location of the
>         alsa-driver sources and my kernel sources which I can't find.

I think the headers are included in the kernel package. Fc3 is rather
old so I don't quite remember (and I don't have a fc3 machine to test).
They should be in:
   /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build

If that is not enough (depends on the driver) you may need to get the
source rpm for the kernel you have and unpack it and rebuild it to the
point where you have complete patched kernel source tree available.
Maybe tomorrow I can try to help more, I gotta go now....

-- Fernando