[PlanetCCRMA] Newbie question

Mon Jan 1 16:21:02 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-01 at 20:17 +0100, Henrik Frisk wrote:
> Well, that's what I thought too, but then I saw that the FC5 default
> kernel had a name containing SMP, but then again, I'm new to Fedora and
> I'm new to Dual Core so I'm just guessing...

You should be able to use the smp kernel. AFAIK "dual core" == "dual
cpu", I'm using Athlon dual cores with no problems. Perhaps the
confusion is because some earlier dual cores were two chips in a single
ic, I think all the current ones are two processors in just one chip.
Hmmm, well, then there was the "hyperthreading" thing with P4
processors, there was just _one_ processor but apparently two being
reported. The "second" processor was just make believe using idle cycles
of the only cpu available. Depending on what you did you could have a 10
to 20% improvement in speed - but that was definitely a one processor
hardware setup.

Which kernel exactly are you trying to boot (the smp one)? Do happen to
see anything like an error message? Does the machine simply stop at some
point in the boot process?