[PlanetCCRMA] New install - FC5/SMP - Ardour fails w/"illegal instruction"

James P. Early earlyjp@purdue.edu
Sat Jan 6 14:00:01 2007

Greetings,
  I successfully completed a FC5/PlanetCCRMA installation/upgrade according to
the posted instructions. I then used yum to install Ardour. I next tried to run
Ardour, but it consistently fails to load with the following error:

[earlyjp@localhost ~]$ ardour
Ardour/GTK 0.99.3
   (built using 1.4.1 with libardour 0.908.2 and GCC version 4.1.1 20060525 (Red
Hat 4.1.1-1))
Copyright (C) 1999-2006 Paul Davis
Some portions Copyright (C) Steve Harris, Ari Johnson, Brett Viren, Joel Baker

Ardour comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
under certain conditions; see the source for copying conditions.
jackd 0.101.1
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
nperiods = 2 for capture
nperiods = 2 for playback
ardour: [INFO]: JACK server started
Illegal instruction

I've tried using the SMP version of both the DESKTOP and REALTIME kernels, as
well as launching Ardour as both a user and root. All produce the same result.

I found one mention of this error in the PlanetCCRMA achive, but it is unclear
if a solution was ever found. Then, I found a mention of the error on the Ardour
forum:

http://ardour.org/node/159

In it, Paul Davis mentions that the error can occur when the package is built
using SSE instructions. My system is a dual PII/400, and a cat /proc/cpuinfo
does not indicate an SSE flag. Does this mean that I must compile Ardour rather
than using the CCRMA package?

Thanks,
Jim