[PlanetCCRMA] FC6, Planet CCRMA, nVidia, Compiz . . . [blink!] seems to work!

Jan Depner eviltwin69@cableone.net
Fri Jan 12 09:58:01 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 10:28 -0600, Link Swanson wrote:
> Jan Depner wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 17:24 -0500, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> >
> >> On 1/11/07, linkx <link@sumerianbabyl.com> wrote:
> >> [snip]

> >> Of course, with this closed-source kernel video driver installed if
> >> you encounter any problems requiring kernel developer intervention
> >> (like latency burps), you'll be told to f'off unless you can reproduce
> >> the issue without a tainted kernel.
> >>

> >     I haven't had a problem with the NVIDIA drivers in the last 8 years
> > or so that NVIDIA hasn't fixed.  If you want to run seriously fast 3D
> > accelerated graphics you have very little choice in the matter as the nv
> > driver (and every other open source graphics driver) is waaaaaayyyyyyyy
> > too slow.  We've got about 100 systems running with the NVIDIA drivers
> > where I work and I have four at my house running them with no problems.
> > Luckily my religion doesn't prohibit me from using closed source kernel
> > drivers ;-)
> >
> >     I'd much prefer an open source driver but there aren't any capable
> > of running at the speeds I need to do my job.  When they get there I'll
> > be the first to switch.
> >

> Yeah I can't get myself to forfeit certain capabilities of my computer
> simply because I believe in this or that philosophy.
>
> Have you ran FC6 with Ardour running in Compiz? I'm having great luck,
> but my suspicions suggest to me that this config is a time-bomb.

    I haven't used Compiz but after seeing your screenshot I'm thinking
of giving it a try.  I'll have to switch up to FC6.  I'm only running 4
at home.  I've got 4, 5, and 6 running on different systems at work -
all running the NVIDIA driver.

Jan

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69

arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways, chardonnay in one hand, chocolate in the other, body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride'"