[PlanetCCRMA] hexter-dssi problem

Sean Bolton smbolton@jps.net
Tue Jan 23 22:37:00 2007

On Jan 23, 2007, at 9:47 AM, Anthony Green wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 12:38 +0100, m.tarenskeen wrote:
>> It seems I'm having a problem with hexter's gtk frontend. I can start
>> the
>> stuff, see a message in my terminal that hexter-gtk is started, I can
>> connect hexter to vkeybd, and to a pcm output, and I can play and get
>> sound. But I can't SEE hexter's gtk frontend to load and select
>> DX7 patches. Very strange. Anyone recognizes this problem or has a
>> suggestion what I have to check or fix here ?
>
> Are you just running "hexter" to run it via jack-dssi-host?
>
> It should tell you what the process ID of hexter_gtk is.  Do you see
> that process running when you look at the output of "ps aux"?

If it is running, then check to make sure your hostname is resolvable.
AFAIK, liblo still doesn't gracefully handle not being able to resolve
the hostname.  A quick fix can be adding your IP and hostname to
/etc/hosts.

Another thing to try is running the GUI in standalone test mode.
If your hexter is installed in /usr/local, then you would do:

$ /usr/local/lib/dssi/hexter/hexter_gtk -test x x x

and the GUI should start.  If so, then you know you've got the
GUI and supporting libs installed correctly, meaning the problem
is problem the OSC communication between host and GUI.

Hope that helps,

-Sean