[PlanetCCRMA] Re: fc6/7: new rt kernel; fc6/7: updated libgig

Fri Jul 6 09:59:09 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 09:54 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 11:02:37PM -0700, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > Most probably I'll release the new packages tomorrow. But then of course
> > the machine becomes incompatible (in terms of firewire) with the stock
> > Fedora kernels.
>
> I've been talking with the Fedora juju maintaner. Unfortunately the
> new juju subsystem breaks a lot of applications: the libraw1394
> patches are still not upstream and dependent software like libdc1934
> (v1) breaks on it. libdc1934 v2 does support juju, but is still
> unreleased. And ffmpeg and all ffmpeg copies in other software
> packages need libdc1934 v1.
>
> So all in all the new ieee1394 stack is quite fresh and in order to
> keep the apps hapy one unfortunately needs to go back to the old
> one. Once juju is part of a releaed vanilla kernel, upstream projects
> will probably move faster to supporting it, so at F8 time this will
> all be moot, but for F7 backing out juju seems to be the only real
> workaround.
>
> To be fair the Fedora maintainer did promise to provide patches for
> libdc1934 v1 and ffmpeg, which would solve all issues, but he seems to
> be swamped in work.
>
> FWIW after waiting for 2 months and pining the juju maintainer I had
> to do the same in ATrpms and notified him, so he's aware of any
> non-juju reportings in F7.

Feedback much appreciated, at least I'm not alone.

> Fedora is leading edge and moving fast. How about PlanetCCRMA for
> RHEL? :) :) :)

I could release it within a week... :-)
(I did some tests on CentOS 5 not long ago)

All is fine now (just after CentOS 5 release) but what happens in one
year? How many bleeding edge audio packages will not build because the
libraries are too old. You can't have everything.

One of the main problems is that yum migration from one Fedora release
to another is not really tested or supported AFAIK.

-- Fernando