[PlanetCCRMA] Problems with Delta66 Throughput

Bill Polhemus bill@polhemus.cc
Thu Mar 8 16:30:02 2007

I heartily apologize if this is the *wrong* place to post this. I would
appreciate some suggestions (clean ones, anyway) as to where I might go
with this question if this is not the place.

I have a homebrew PC based on an ASUS K8 Mobo with an AMD Athlon64x2
4200+ processor, and the Delta66 card, running FC5 w/Planet CCRMA. I
have a pair of M-Audio studio reference monitors hooked to H/W Outs 1 &
2 respectively, and H/W Outs 3 & 4 are unused.

When I boot up, I notice the soundcard defaults "off," but if I go into
the GNOME Soundcard Detection applet, the WAV sound comes out just fine.

I can also hook up a MIDI-USB interface, and play, say, a keyboard
through QSynth (via JACK) and the sound works fine there, too.

But I cannot hear anything sent to the H/W Ins on the card.

If I bring up the ENVY24 Control Utility (I have version 0.6.0), I
typically see no indication of any signal (although a time or two I've
seen a signal indication though no sound comes through the speakers).

I admit that the ENVY24 Control Utility confuses me. It is similar to
but not sufficiently like the Windows version that comes with the card,
so the card's instruction manual doesn't give me any good clues, as new
as much of this stuff is to me. And the Linux documentation for the
ENVY24 Control Utility is limited to the command line, not the GNOME
applet, so again my n00bness betrays me.

Any suggestions? At least, any suggestions on how to troubleshoot and
narrow down the problem?

Thanks.