[PlanetCCRMA] Re: some weirdnesses on fc6 with reent upgrades

Thu Mar 15 08:36:02 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 12:30 +0100, joakim@verona.se wrote:
> Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU> writes:
>
> > On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 20:57 +0100, joakim@verona.se wrote:
> >> I've been using ccrma on my i386 fc6 laptop for some time, and it has worked
> >> mostly well.
> >>
> >> Recently, however, all sorts of weirdness has crept in, I think only
> >> caused by yum upgrades.
> >>
> >> - qjackctl doesnt start. it just hangs before starting the gui.
> >> strace indicates its hanging on reading something.
> >
> > It does not help to not know what it was trying to read :-)
>
> Sorry about that, I was unable to figure it out.
>
> basically the trace loops at the end like this:
>
> select(10, [3 4 5 7 9], [], [], {0, 199890}) = 0 (Timeout)
> gettimeofday({1173870449, 572305}, NULL) = 0
> ioctl(3, FIONREAD, [0])                 = 0
> gettimeofday({1173870449, 572389}, NULL) = 0
> select(10, [3 4 5 7 9], [], [], {0, 0}) = 0 (Timeout)
> gettimeofday({1173870449, 572569}, NULL) = 0
> gettimeofday({1173870449, 572705}, NULL) = 0
> gettimeofday({1173870449, 572753}, NULL) = 0
> ioctl(3, FIONREAD, [0])                 = 0
>
> I dont really know what 10 and 3 are, and was unable to find out.
> This was the best I could do:

> uname({sys="Linux", node="localhost.localdomain", ...}) = 0
> socket(PF_FILE, SOCK_STREAM, 0)         = 3
> open("/etc/passwd", O_RDONLY)           = 10
>
> I'm kind of suspecting some network issue due to the socket call.
> I verified I can ping localhost.localdomain though.
>
> I've had some issues with ipv6 in the past and will try disabling that
> as well.
>
> As further info I notice that I'm sometimes able to start qjackctl if
> I first start jackd manually.

Hmmm, strange. Could you send me the whole strace output?

> > You could try resetting the stored defaults for qjackctl, you should
> > find them in "~/.qt/qjackctlrc". Just erase the file (or move it to a
> > different location) and it will be recreated next time you start
> > qjackctl.
>
> This didnt work.
>
> >> - Bristol just crashes(but I only recently installed it, so I dont
> >>   know if it ever worked)
> >>
> >> - my wlan doesnt work anymore
> >
> > What kernel are you booting? (type "uname -r" in a terminal to find
> > out). It could be that the standard Fedora kernel has extra drivers that
> > cover your wireless card and they are not part of the rt kernel (which
> > is based on the vanilla Linus kernel plus Ingo's patches).
>
> Its the same with the rt kernel, and the stock fc kernel.
>
> I'm going to try if ndiswrapper works better, im currently using the
> kernel bcm43xx module.

Are you sure you have downloaded and added the firmware? I think those
cards need firmware (which is not redistributable so I would not be able
to add it to the distro). Look in /var/log/messages or the output of
dmesg, there should be something there telling you what happened at
driver load time.

-- Fernando