[PlanetCCRMA] OSS: Wasn't it dead??

Fri May 18 09:59:04 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-18 at 01:23 -0500, Renich Bon Ciric wrote:
> Well, recently I have been visiting: http://www.ffado.org/ and
> http://www.opensound.com/ because I bought an m-audio Firewire 1814...
>
> Anyway, I was looking for support at OSS because m-audio told me that
> they're collaborating with these guys for the linux drivers.
>
> I contacted these guys and they said that they didn't, yet, support this
> model, but that I should visit FreeBOB project, which has turned into
> FFADO project...
>
> By the way, FFADO is a cool project, if anybody is interested!
>
> And I thought that OSS was dead!

The OSS API is deprecated and has been replaced by ALSA in the kernel.
Old APIs die hard, both from the people that originate them (and in this
case made audio possible on Linux - so many thanks to them!) and from
app developers that don't want to learn a new one (understandable)... it
will take a while...

-- Fernando