[PlanetCCRMA] Rebuilding kernel on FC6/CCRMA

Sat May 26 13:52:01 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-25 at 20:46 +1200, Michael Curtis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wonder if anyone can give me some pointers here.  I've recently installed
> FC6 and PlanetCCRMA on my music system (VIA mini ITX M1000, I believe, C3
> Nehemiah processor).
>
> Unfortunately, I couldn't get planetccrma-core to install and yum wasn't even
> listing the packages in the repository - strange.  Well, apparently my
> processor is "i586" according to RPM, despite uname -p claiming "i686".  And
> to my disappointment, fooling RPM into installing an i686 kernel doesn't
> work, as the kernel hangs at boot.
>
> So looks like I need an i586 respin of the kernel.  I've got a bit of
> experience with rebuilding RPMs from source, but can't seem to find any
> information on the net about how to go about rebuilding kernels for
> PlanetCCRMA.  In particular, the SRPMS for planetcore are strangely absent.
> Where might I find one (not particularly picky as to version)? Also, what's
> the least painful way of changing the RPM for i586?  I expect I just need to
> modify the .config for i586 and come back much, much later.....

The source packages live here:
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/all/linux/SRPMS/

You should be able to rebuild the .src.rpm with (I think)
  rpmbuild -ba --target=i586 spec_file_name

Sorry, I should start building i586 kernels again...
-- Fernando