[PlanetCCRMA] The future of planetccrma?

Jeff Sandys sandysj@juno.com
Tue May 29 15:58:01 2007

Fernando, thanks for the quick and positive reply.

After spending months trying to get my wireless working using
sneaker-net, I finally took my laptop to the University and
used a wired internet to install FC6 and Planet-CCRMA.  Then
with bcm43xx-fwcutter I got wireless running.  It took a little
over two hours, I completed the installation with no problems
with just enough battery life left to test a program (make some
beats with Hydrogen).

Thanks for putting the Installing...FC6 page on the Planet-
CCRMA site, I found two errors.
1) yum install planetccrma-menus  ; Didn't change anything,
I think menus were installed with planetccrma-apps.
2) The page says copyright 2001-2005.

Planet-CCRMA benefits the Fedora community.  I hope that
the changes to Fedora 7 will help you and the other Planet-
CCRMA contributers.

-- Jeff

-- Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 19:50 +0000, Jeff Sandys wrote:
<snip>
> So what is the future of planetccrma?

Bright and rosy, of course!

<snip>

I'm waiting for fc7 to restart my Planet CCRMA distro. Should be
easier than before (when support for doing target specific spins
was not even there).

There are already more players/helpers in Planet CCRMA that you
can see.  Some of its packages have already migrated to what was
Fedora Extras and is now just Fedora and other people are
maintaining them (sometimes starting from scratch as some
packagers like to reinvent the wheel, sometimes using my packages
as the starting point :-). The long term idea is that Fedora
should be able to be a music distro out of the box - the kernel
is probably the most difficult part to integrate. But Ingo works
for RedHat so there's motivation there... (not that _music_ or
multimedia is the motivation for his realtime kernel work).

The infrastructure for help is there in the Fedora contribution
system - ie: contributing and maintaining extra packages for
Fedora. Setting that up locally was one of my goals but reality
intervened and I could not dedicate the needed time and
resources. Still, most probably a redo of the Planet CCRMA
primitive but useful web site with an eye to allowing external
contributions will happen sooner or later.

<snip>