[PlanetCCRMA] SuperCollider / PsyCollider

joey.a joey.a" <joey.a at accelerators.co.uk
Sun Nov 4 23:26:02 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fernando Lopez-Lezcano" <nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU>
To: "joey.a" <joey.a@accelerators.co.uk>
Cc: <planetccrma@ccrma.Stanford.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, October 28, 2007 6:24 PM

> Psycollider? Hmm, I think that should work, unless your version of
> Windows is 64 bit as well.

That would seem to depend on how we define working. Consequently, I would be
interested to discover whether SC under FC Linux exhibits similar features,
and what fixes, if any, are available, for those features which are clearly
problematic.

After working out, by trial and error, that, in the context of the keyboard
& mouse, I should substitute:
F1 for Cmd+Shift+?
Lang/Stop, or, less reliably, Alt+. for Cmd+.
and  Lang/Evaluate or Ctrl+Enter for Enter ,
I was eventually able to successfully run (evaluate) some of the coding
examples (and adjust them), and open help files within the SC environment.

However,  I still couldn't fathom the following statement at
/Help/Mark_Polishook_tutorial/First_steps/1_Startup.html :
'On the bottom of the screen are two more windows. One is called "localhost
server" and the other is "internal server." Click on the "boot" button on
the localhost server. ..........
Activate the internal server, if you wish, in the same way. '

Well, all I can see is one second window called Psycollider which contains a
window called SC Log, which duplicates the contents of the first window,
except black on white instead of white on black. The "localhost server" is
activated in the Psycollider toolbar via Lang/Run (or by executing
appropriate code in the code window [once opened]), but I don't have a clue
what the internal server is meant to be, where it is displayed, or how to
activate it.

Consequently, when I attempt to evaluate

s.scope(2)
I get
ERROR:
scope works only with internal server
nil

evaluating
Server.internal.boot;
merely results in run time overflow and a substantial error dump.

Similarly, the following information on recording sound seemed to make no
sense in terms of what is actually displayed on the screen.

Having said that, much of the more advanced information on synthesis looks
far more promising. Many of the more complex coding examples do work, and
the main difficulty I have in working out why some of them don't, is that
the error reporting typically states that the error is in a line which is
substantially later than the total number of lines which exist in the code
window.

This, at least, is the case when I run the software under 32 bit Windows XP
Professional (Media Edition). When I downloaded the software separately onto
Windows 2000 (Server), and attempted to run it there, no SuperCollider
window stayed open for more than a fraction of a second.

James Harris