[PlanetCCRMA] Re: the Planet starts to land on Fedora 8 (Fernando Lopez-Lezcano)

Wed Nov 14 13:19:00 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 17:52 -0300, Rafael F. wrote:
> Hi, rt kernel, boots properly on my i386 laptop, as the previous one
> did. I have one concern though. I just checked my limits.conf file and I
> found that the jack-audio-connection-kit, that the planetccrma-core
> package installed, appended the few usual lines at the end of it, but
> that the previous jack installation wasn't completely overwritten so
> my /etc/security/limits.conf file looks like this at the end:
>
> ## Automatically appended by jack-audio-connection-kit
> @jackuser - rtprio 20
> @jackuser - memlock 4194304
>
> ## Automatically appended by the Planet CCRMA jack-audio-connection-kit
> * - rtprio 99
> * - memlock 4194304
> * - nice -10
>
> I don't know if it is ok to just comment the first part. BTW, I just
> checked and there is no jackusers group if that is what those lines
> mean.

Those first lines are installed by the Fedora version of
jack-audio-connection-kit. There should be jackuser group
in /etc/groups, otherwise it is a bug I guess (in Fedora's jack
package). I have to add my own stuff there because the priority they
chose is too low for the realtime kernel and rtirq and because I enable
all users to use rt (so that anyone can lock the machine). I used to do
this with an upgrade to pam (no longer needed).

The more open lines (the ones starting with "*") should have priority so
you can leave the others undisturbed...

> Any help appreciated, i'm really looking forward to working with audio
> on Fedora 8, which seems a very solid release.

Let us know how it works out for you...
-- Fernando