[PlanetCCRMA] (re)building the PlanetCCRMA srpms for CentOS

Thu Nov 15 11:11:02 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 17:14 -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 18:43 -0600, Wade Nelson wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 16:21:51 -0800, "Fernando Lopez-Lezcano"
> > <nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU> said:

> > > Probably a straight rebuild and hope that userland in centos5 is not too
> > > old to support the latest kernels. That is the problem of centos, long
> > > term.

> > > The problem with that approach is that the versions of the realtime
> > > patches that you will be able to apply are very old.
> > >
> > > I could try a rebuild of the latest kernel (which I just released for
> > > Fedora 8 and plan on releasing for Fedora 7 & 6) for CentOS 5. Would you
> > > be able to try it out? I did rebuild older versions as a trial under
> > > CentOS a while back and they seemed to work fine.
> >
> > I haven't kept up with kernel changes all that much, but I iirc the
> > newer kernels use a new libata stack that labels all hard disks as
> > /dev/sd* whereas CentOS's version still uses the /dev/hd* scheme for IDE
> > drives.
>
> Oh, yes, I take care of that. In < fc7 the config files are changed at
> build time so that the old IDE driver is used. So no problems there. I'm
> running 2.6.22 on fc6 with no problems (and have to try a recent build
> of 2.6.23) - and centos5 is based on fc6. But of course at some point it
> is going to break, or need help with userland upgrades.

I did a quick test yesterday and 2.6.23-1.rt11.1 does boot fine (AFAICT,
no major issues I could see) on my laptop when booting centos5 from an
external usb disk - I get usb disk timeouts but that's another matter.
Just to keep you up to date.

-- Fernando