[PlanetCCRMA] Using 2nd sound card for output

Thu Nov 15 13:15:01 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 15:51 -0500, Roy Vestal wrote:
> The first setup you mentioned was what I was hoping we could do. But I
> didn't think about the word clock. As I have clients coming into the
> studio with CD's and want me to listen, I need to be able to listen to
> them, but I'm not as familiar with JACK under the hood.
>
> I was hoping for something similar to scenario 2 you mentioned. I wanted
> JACK to use the Delta 1010 and then the CD/Mplayer/Xine/Amarok would use
> the AC'97 without stopping JACK. It sounds as if this too is no
> possible. Am i correct?

That should be possible. You could set things up so that your 1010 is
the second card in your setup. And your ac97 the first card. So apps
that use alsa directly would default to your first card. And you could
set up qjackctl so that jack uses the second card (hw:1).

What you can't do is use both cards under jack, or under alsa for that
matter, and at the same time.

-- Fernando