[PlanetCCRMA] Channel routings of hdsp card messed up after upgrade to Fedora 8

Mon Nov 19 14:44:01 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 22:29 +0100, Robert Gruendler wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> i'm trying to figure out what messed up the channel routing of
> my rme hammerfall hdsp card since a fresh install of Fedora 8
> 2 days ago.
>
> I never had any problems getting this card to work under F7 nor F6.
>
> After the installation, first i had no sound at all, until i figured
> out
> that somehow only the audio-stream channel 7 is routed to
> physical output 1.
>
> I tried to set the correct routing of the channels using
>
> amixer -c 0 cset numid=5 26,0,32676
>
> etc, without any luck.
>
> Now here's the really strange thing:
>
> When i route audio from within pd to channel 7, i get
> output on the physical channel 1 but the volume
> of it can only be set from software channel one ...
>
> If i send output to software-channel 1, i see the output there,
> but nothing in the physical channel.
>

> Does anyone probably know why routing via amixer is not working ?

I think this is a bug in alsa. I had some problems getting a pcmcia rme
card on fc7 a couple of weeks ago with frustrating symptoms similar to
what you describe (took me a while to realize I was not doing anything
wrong)... you are not alone.

What kernel are you booting?

-- Fernando