[PlanetCCRMA] Re: test centos5 kernel

Wade Nelson hollywoodb+ccrma at fastmail.fm
Mon Nov 19 16:46:01 2007

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 14:47:28 -0800, "Fernando Lopez-Lezcano"
<nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU> said:
> Hi guys... just to let you know a test kernel is available for download
> (plus rtirq). I'll fill in more core components soon. You can point to
> the repository here:
>
> http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/centos/linux/planetcore/5/i386/repoview/index.html
>
> Replace i386 with x86_64 for 64 bits...
> (I also have to add the planetccrma-repo part, etc).
>
> -- Fernando

I've been running this kernel for a few days now and only had two minor
issues:

1) ath5k.  It isn't a big deal, but ath5k doesn't work for my card,
which still requires madwifi.  The ath5k module was also taking priority
over ath_pci (the madwifi module).  I rebuilt madwifi kmdls from atrpms
against the ccrmart kernel (which worked beautifully) and blacklisted
ath5k via /etc/modprobe.conf, problem solved.  If anyone else needs the
madwifi package and modules for this kernel and doesn't want to do the
kmod/kmdl dance (I personally think kmdl is the lesser of the two evils)
I can upload them someplace.

2) for whatever reason the system still boots to init5 and starts GDM on
vt7, but it doesn't actually switch over to vt7.  After rhgb does its
thing and quits I'm left at a regular console login where I need to do
ctrl+alt+F7 to get back to GDM login.  I have no idea what would cause
this, there isn't anything in dmesg or /var/log/messages.  GDM is
starting normally, there just isn't a vt switch from vt1 to vt7.

I haven't had a chance to test out jack and whatnot yet for xruns and
such, but I haven't noticed anything that would cause me to suspect that
things wouldn't work as expected.  MPlayer video & audio playback works
just fine.

I've been rebuilding a few ccrma packages here and there when I get
time, when I have something worth mentioning I'll send an update to the
list.  I've been keeping track of everything I've done so if things go
well I'll post my complete "guide" as well.  I should mention I
installed MPlayer from ATrpms (which pulled in a lot of libraries and
deps) and gstreamer-plugins-{bad,ugly} from rpmforge prior to building
any ccrma packages, but that's all covered in my step-by-step I've been
using to keep track of the changes I make.

Wade Nelson
hollywoodb@fastmail.fm
"I may have to share this planet with animals,
but I'm doing my damn best to eat every last one of them."